Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Legacy of Violence

In the last couple of years, there have been many reports of physical violence done by David Miscavige to more than a few Scientology International Management Personnel.  People are astounded that the Ecclesiastic Leader of the "church" would do such a thing, and if he did, how could he have gotten away with it for so long.  After some research, we can surmise some answers.  The first answer may upset a few people but we have to look at it logically.  That is, given his upbringing, Miscavige almost had to turn out the way he did.  He grew up in Scientology.  His education was almost all in Scientology.  He was a Commodore's Messenger and worked closely with Hubbard for much of his life.  He saw that, when it served his purpose, Hubbard used violence to get his point across too.  Who knows, maybe young Miscavige had his bell rung by the Commodore a few times. No matter who was "supposed" to take over after Hubbard's death, I believe Hubbard personally groomed Miscavige for the Post because he saw in Miscavige what he knew himself to be.  Vicious, Violent and a Coward.  In Hubbard's own words:

"People attack Scientology; I never forget it, always even the score. People attack auditors, or staff, or organizations, or me.  I never forget until the slate is clear."  Not really a "turn the other cheek" kind of guy eh?

Ok, but what about some evidence?  I am glad you asked.

First, thanks to the excellent blog of Sharone Stainforth:  

Joe van Staden, Captain at the time till he was fired, in Birth of the Sea Org:

The time I got fired in Corfu went something like this. One of the commodore’s messengers came up to me and informed me that the commodore wanted to see me. At that point I had no reason to suspect that anything was wrong, but as I approached his office and noticed some of his aides including Mary Sue avoiding eye contact with me and making haste to vacate the area I knew – here it comes. Before I even entered his office there he was in my face screaming at me for making a dog’s breakfast of the ship. Then he took a swing at me, I ducked and felt the swoosh of air over my head as he missed the target. For a second there I thought he was going to go down as he lost his balance. Next he screamed at me telling me to go fix up my mess. I only found out what he was talking about once I got out on deck and one of the messengers informed me. 

Here is the thing; the Apollo spent most of her life up north in very damp conditions. Since she entered the Med the timber deck above the commodore’s office began to dry out. As a consequence it resulted in some leaking into LRH’s office leaving visible rust streaks down the bulkheads. The short of it is I was fired as captain, once again, and put on the deck force to fix up “my mess”.

And Otto Roos:

"One day, when all the XII's were on leave, except myself, he sent a Messenger down, stating he wanted the folders.  After refusal by myself (C/S hat) he became 'Commodore' and ORDERED the folders up, sending some hefty guys down to just get them (a cabinet FILE full!).

 They were just TAKEN, and that was that.

A few days later I was called up to his office and upon entry was hit, kicked, screamed and shouted at.  (Even the Aides were not in sight, they were hiding as he was really mad!)

He just blew his stack on finding the references to 'discreditable' reads and the contents of some of the personal folders."

Then from Xenu Directory Net:

November 1984

CLEARWATER—Possibly the highest-ranking, most influential Scientologist to defect from the Clearwater-based, international sect has sued Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard for more than $225 million.

Citing physical abuse, the intentional infliction of emotional distress, false imprisonment and the violation of his civil rights, Howard D. "Homer" Schomer, the 49-year-old former treasury secretary of the sect's Author Services Inc. branch, is demanding a jury trial and damages of $226,528,200. Schomer's claims, if proved true, offer a dark view of the inner workings of an arm of the most visible yet secretive of the world's "new religions."

Schomer's suit alleges that he, having voiced reservations about Hubbard's true aims and those of his myriad of organizations, was subjected to intense interrogations for hours at a time, denied food and water, accused of stealing money and being an FBI or CIA agent, spat upon, threatened with bodily harm, locked up under guard and told he would be "falsely thrown in jail."

Schomer fled the sect in December 1982, and went into seclusion before filing his suit on Oct. 25. "I was frightened because I didn't know what was happening and terrified of what they could do," Schomer said during an interview Friday. "I was threatened with injury and with going to court because they said they would bring false witness against me.

"And it still terrifies me what they can do to me, and that's why I didn't come forward sooner. But I 
realized that eventually I had to do something, so I came out in the open

And then, possibly the most damning from Monday, 23 April 1951 (UPI) Los Angeles:

The wife of L. Ron Hubbard, 40, founder of the Dianetics Mental Health Movement, filed suit for divorce today, charging he is suffering from a mental ailment.

Mrs. Sara Northrup Hubbard, 25, said "competent medical advisers" had examined her 40-year-old husband and concluded he was "hopelessly insane" and should be placed in a private sanitarium for "psychiatric observation."

She said doctors told her her husband was suffering from a mental ailment "known as paranoid schizophrenia."

Mrs. Hubbard also charged he subjected her to "systematic torture" by beating and strangling her and, denying her sleep.

Her suit said Hubbard once told her he didn't want to be married and suggested that if she really loved him, she would kill herself because a divorce would "hurt his reputation"

Mrs. Hubbard described her husband's Dianetics research foundation as his "alter ego" and said the institution did more than $1,000,000 business last year.

When informed of the doctors' recommendation that he be placed in a mental institution, Hubbard took their 13-month-old daughter, Alexis, from Mrs. Hubbard's apartment and went into hiding, the suit charged.

The wife also said Hubbard told her he was unmarried when they were wed Aug. 20, 1946, at Chestertown,
Md., but it was not until December, 1947, that he divorced a former wife, Mrs. Margaret Grubb Hubbard, at Port Orchard, Wash.

Mrs. Hubbard asked $500,000 damages to compensate for the loss of "the golden years of a woman's life" and annulment of their marriage if the court finds she never was legally married to the Dianetics founder.

How do Scientologists get away with violent actions?  First, they help get local officials elected, and they attack local officials that are against them.  Second, in many cities where there is a large Scientology population, they are actually a large employer of off duty police officers as "security officers".  Take a look at the short video below.

No comments:

Post a Comment